Thursday, October 4, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: 3rd Edition



1.5 weeks from now I'll be settling into a cozy little two bedroom place on Ann Street. I'm pretty excited about it, but a bit disappointed at the budget I have to work with for decorating/furnishing. I'll be hitting up some garage sales with my sister this weekend and, beyond that, I hope to work on these projects to spruce the place up a bit:

1. You can always count on design*sponge for interior inspiration. I go for the simple stuff, like using paper for noncommittal wall-art.
2. I think it's common to have t-shirts that you just can't let go of, even when you know you'll never wear them again. Thank goodness for Country Home and t-shirt art.
3. I think dust ruffles/bed skirts are silly. But box springs are pretty ugly. Leave it to Martha to think of a more economical and sensible alternative.
4. I often hit my head on hard objects that surround my bed. A padded headboard = problem solved.
5. Until I learn to sew, BH&G has me covered with no-sew window treatments.
6. I hate sitting without my feet elevated. Really. Good thing drawers aren't too hard to find.
7. If I can't find any drawers, maybe I'll happen upon an abandoned crate.
8. I've recently learned the value of an entryway. My apartment hasn't one. So I'll make my own.
9. I'd say it's pretty likely that I won't be able to afford much extra seating. But I love having friends over. Thankfully, the floor won't be too uncomfortable.
10. There are 2 things I require from a desk: space and space. Done and done.
11. No painting = no personality? No more.
12. I just got a new set of yummy brown cookware. Why would I want to hide them?
13. When I can't find hidden homes for the ugly but necessary bits and pieces that make life possible, I'll just cover them up.

Better get started!

5 comments:

k said...

great tt! i'm obsessed w/ design & decor. i get a lot of great, affordable ideas from cottage living & country living mags. instyle home and o at home are good too- not so snobby.

Anonymous said...

I love the entryway idea. Great TT. Happy Friday!

Bloggers said...

This is a great tt13. I love to hide things.

my 13 is up on http://momworksathome.blogspot.com

Siani said...

I guess dust ruffles and bed skirts would be what we Brits refer to as valances. And box springs? I think we'd call that a divan. No wonder my American friends never know what the heck I'm talking about! Good luck with the new home :).

Unknown said...

I'm a closet decorator. I've actually decorated many of my friend's homes and been paid to decorate/faux finish others. Your ideas are all so neat. You should take before and after pics!