Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Writers Island: My Imaginary Life

As a recent college grad, I've been doing a lot of imagining about life. Living in my parents' house, unemployed, with a car that seems to be about five steps away from the point of no return, it's been pretty easy to imagine an ideal life for myself...

I would wake up in the morning to the smell of fresh coffee--because I've always wanted but never had a coffee pot with a timed start function.
I would give my love a quick squeeze, a kiss on the nose, and then tumble out of bed and into the shower--because ideally getting out of bed wouldn't feel like such a chore, and maybe I wouldn't hate morning showers so much.
I would bop along to work in my Mini Cooper--because I'm sure that's what you do in a Mini--bop. I would step into my little cafe, where some lovely fresh-faced and charming girl has already opened up after baking away for a few hours in the morning--because who wants to get up that early?
I would slip into a pretty apron, one like so many that hang along the walls, ones that I've stitched up myself, ones that you love to buy along with a sundry of other bits like hand-bound journals and charming totes.
I would get to work on the daily biscotti, stopping every few minutes to chat with my favorite regulars, and to make any newcomers feel welcome.
Around 4:30, I would bid adieu to my cozy cafe, left in the capable hands of a trustworthy doll who locks up and cleans each evening. I would head home, just in time to work on a healthy and tasty meal with my love.
We would finish up with a heart-healthy glass of wine, and I would trip off to my study with a mug of coffee, ready to pound out a few thousand words of perfectly crafted prose--because in this imaginary life, editing and revision are hardly necessary--perfection comes naturally.
And upon finishing up my day, I'd curl up into bed, next to my love. He'd wrap his strong arms around me; I'd rest my cheek against the warm sturdiness of his chest. And our sleep would be sound and solid, uninterrupted by dreams of a life more perfect.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a picture perfect life. I have imagined only to be rudely woken up!

Anonymous said...

{sigh} heaven {sigh}-- and remember, dreams can come true-!!

Thank you for your encouraging comment on my post.

paisley said...

i am sighing with kimberly.......don't hold your breath!!!!!

Tumblewords: said...

Ah, nice! Will you post again when this all comes true? Good. :)

Rob Kistner said...

Lucy -- I wish precisely that life for you!

Oh, and by the way, would you sprinkle a little of that 'no-revision-no-editing' magic dust on me! ;)

Glad you found the island!

Sophisticated Writer said...

This would be really a perfect life.

Waking up to the smell of coffee, having your very own cafe, being with your love, writing at night....oh, can I have the very same too? :)